Monday 1 August 2011

Stops 2 and 3 - Armidale and Byron Bay

Stop 2 was an overnight stay at the caravan park in Armidale wtih the happiest man in the world at reception.  It went something like this:

Man: "Hello, hello, heeelllllooooo.  Welcome.  Let me guess.  You look like a man who wants a powered site"  (Looks out window and sees a caravan and then, literally, punches the air).  "Yes, yes, yes.  I am right.  One powered site coming up.  Are you a Top Tourist Park member?"

Now, the answer to this question was "yes" but I was a little nervous that if told him this then he might pop a gasket but the other hand I could not disappoint him so I nervously said that I did.  "Fantastic.  That is just fantastic.  Super.  Wonderful.  Excellent news."  And so it went on.

I was wondering if it was just me but then someone else came in while he was serving me and off he went again..."Hello, hello, heeelllooooo....."  Anyway, enthusiastic bloke, nice town but I was only there for the night so little to report other than the fact that it was so cold overnight that the water in the water hose froze.  Seriously.

Me from the balcony that is part of the
facilites for use at Clarkes Beach caravan
park looking over the beach.  And note,
wearing short sleeves and not a cloud...
Anyway, after about 1700kms and three days constant traveling, I am now at Byron Bay awaiting the arrival of the the other members of Team NQTLBros  this afternoon (other than Nana and Pa who we will be meeting at Coolum at our next stop).  I can report that the weather is perfect although ccording to the sister of the fourth youngest member of Team NQTLBros (who lives in Byron - which is what the locals call Byron Bay) if you walk around in shorts and a t-shirt then you must be from Melbourne because its winter and so locals wear jeans and a jumper - because, regardless of how hot they are, they do not want other locals to think they are from Melbourne.  I am from Melbourne and don't care that the locals know it.

We are staying at Clarke's Beach Carvan Park and it is fantastic. Right on the beach with every facility you could imagine (short of a jumping pillow - which is Anouk's criteria for judging caravan parks - sorry Anouk) and all very new.  I am very excited to be starting the real part of the trip here and cannot wait for the rest of the team to join me.  The only drama was trying to back the van into position.  Don't be surprised if the next post relates to a badly burnt out clutch having to be replaced....

1 comment:

  1. You said (in photo caption) "And note, wearing short sleeves and not a cloud...".

    Do you often wear clouds?!?!

    ReplyDelete